بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

bilateral VUR post bilateral reimplantation

In the morning I was stooping to examine my two years old post op patient when I noticed his eyes transfixed on my nametag. I held it up to him.

"Yoyong suka nametag?"

He pointed with wonder at the right side of my tag. I flipped it to see what he was pointing at.

"Ni logo KKM. Yoyong suka logo KKM?"

He mumbled out baby words. He looked so fascinated. I guess it was affirmative. He then pointed out at things on my nametag with me describing what each was. My face, my name, the phototherapy table, drug dosing, my locker key, my cash which he tried to fish out.

"Duit," he said. Dasar budak mata duitan haha.

Tonight at the end of visiting hour, I was reviewing patient in the acute room when I heard a male child screamed. Then I saw his family walking out.

"Yoyong menangis nak ikut ke?" His sisters nodded with a chuckle.

I got up and went to see him because (not in order of importance or truth):
1- I care about my patients especially when I'm the only doctor for this whole ward today
2- I don't like screaming kids because it sounded like a pain score ten and we're a pain free hospital
3- He has three drains out of his body and we'll be crying if any one of them was dislodged and kid ended up with strictures.

Yoyong was laying on his cot kicking his legs while his mother tried to stop his kicking. "Nda bulih ikut," his mother tried to counsel him but the distress was palpable. Child was crying with tears. Emotional pain score is ten out of ten. The drains were so far intact.

I held up my nametag to him.

Took me less than a minute to calm him down and I stayed with him until his tears dried up. He was especially fascinated with my locker key and used it to poke at his red toy lorry. When he wasn't looking I took my key back and assured the mother. I said good night to the perplexed boy looking for a 'missing' key on his bed.

And I returned back to my acute room. My drains are safe for another night!

The next day during rounds Boss offed his drains. So much for keeping it safe overnight...

No comments:

Haru & Associates